Re: Mailserver on LVS

To: Madhav <msp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mailserver on LVS
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 23:03:38 -0700
On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 11:30:48AM +0530, Madhav wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have set up a LVS cluster with heartbeat, mon and coda(2 routers+2 real
> servers) for telnet,ftp and http services. I am planning to implement the
> mail service also in this setup.
>
> Now I have installed qmail in one real server and it is working fine. I am
> planning to install qmail under coda(usually qmail directory will be under
> /var/qmail) so that I can have replication of mail data(with coda) and also
> masking of the failed mail server(with mon). I would like to know whether
> anyone tried this earlier and if not can anyone foresee any problems with
> this setup(like both the mail servers trying at the same time to send mails
> from the same mail queue)?.

That particular problem should be solvable by using a different queue
directores for each host.

> Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

I would also be concerned about the semantics of both servers
attempting to deliver/retrieve mail from the same mailbox
at the same time. You should be ok given coda's locking
semantics but you probably want to look out for this anyway.

--
Horms