Re: ARP problem - do I have to deal with it in my case?

To: Jon Oringer <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ARP problem - do I have to deal with it in my case?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:49:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Jon Oringer wrote:

> Do I still have to deal with the ARP problem?

yes, but you don't neccessarily have to hide the VIP (see below).

> can the client route to the realserver network if it is on a different class
> C from the directors
> VIP?

it's the VIP on the realservers that's the problem.

> also -- the 5 Realservers are K2-550's... each one will handle 5Mbits.
> the director is a Cel-500 -- is this enough power to handle the incoming
> traffic that will be re-routed?  I plan to use  the TUNNEL method, not the
> DR one...

You don't have to hide the VIP on the realservers if you use the router
to prevent arps for the VIP getting to the realservers. For VS-TUN this
is called Lars' method in the HOWTO.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx