RE: ARP problem - do I have to deal with it in my case?

To: Jon Oringer <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ARP problem - do I have to deal with it in my case?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Jerry Glomph Black <black@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:31:15 -0700 (PDT)
If you are using a recent 2.2 kernel, you don't require a custom patch!

Just do the following:

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/hidden
/sbin/ifconfig lo:0 virtual.server.ip.number netmask 255.255.255.255

This gives you a silent interface to which you can send LVS-DR traffic.

We have this in production on NUMEROUS boxes, it works flawlessly.

We used to use the 'Horms' method of ipchains-redirect, but on heavily
loaded boxes, there was an unacceptable CPU load, sometimes eating the
whole machine.   The silent method has no discernable overhead.

Rod Rutherford in my dept., who's been working LVS since its crude early
days here, researched & figured out the above method.

Jerry Glomph Black
Director, Internet & Technical Operations
RealNetworks
Seattle Washington USA