Re: Userspace scheduler?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Userspace scheduler?
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 22:49:45 +0800 (CST)
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Julian Anastasov wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>
> > Good morning all,
> >
> > would it be possible for LVS to provide special scheduler which asked a
> > userspace process (maybe via a socket) where to send the connection?
> >
> > How much effort would be required for this?
>
>       Not sure but I see some bad things: even if we use netlink
> for such purposes may be we have to enqueue the packets and to dequeue
> them after the user space has some time to get the decision. The

It cause my headache while writing content-based scheduler for ktcpvs
inside the kernel, because it is complicated to specify this kinds of
rules inside the kernel.

It will be better if we write content-based scheduler for ktcpvs in
user-space. IMHO, it might be not necessary to write user-space scheduler
for IPVS, because it doesn't parse the content of packets.
Dynamic-feedback weight-adaption algorithm will give the scheduler more
information about the server status, it is simple and fast, and can make
servers well balanced too. :)

Best regards,

Wensong