Re: Address manipulation

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Address manipulation
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:08:15 +0900
On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 01:00:19PM -0400, Alec Grynspan wrote:
> At the moment I have a private ADSL connection that runs via PPPoe with 2
> subnets of 8 IP addresses.
>
> IOW - my 2 subnets are 216.126.67.120/29  and 216.126.66.192/29
>
> At the current time I'm trying to run 1 machine per address directly.
>
> In the future I hope to grow the system via the use of "front ends"  so as
> to have dozens of low-cost processors - each one dedicated to one domain.
> With the cost of processors dropping exponentially, I can obtain a secure
> system - with a separate processor per user.
>
> I know how to do port redirection. I can even even route inbound addresses
> to local addresses.
>
> *BUT* !!!
>
> What I'm trying to do is have  an inbound address route to the internal
> address!
>
> IOW:    216.126.67.123 goes to a machine that responds to 216.126.67.123
> and the machine with address 216.126.67.123  presents itself to the rest of
> the world as 216.126.67.123!
>
> However, while  I can build the necessary routing from physical addresses,
> but how do I get there from here?
>
> Basically, I need to be able to go from the PPPoe  link to independent
> addresses!
>
> If I were running with a normal link, I wouldn't have this problem!
>
> In the future. I'll have multiple gateways, each  splitting a
> single  physical address   to provide an LVS and - hopefully - but first
> things first and I can't even get there from here!!

Hi Alec,

I am not really clear on what the problem is here. I have used PPPoe in
the past myself, and in my experenice this just presents an PPP
interface that has an IP address, just like any other interface.

That said, it would seem to me that you just have an IPv4 network that
you wish to load balance. You have multiple IP addresses that you wish
to load balance (from the networks 216.126.67.120/29  and
216.126.66.192/29, these are routed by your ISP to down your PPPoE link,
right?) to internal IP addresses, presumably from rfc1918 space (10/8,
172.16/12, 192.168/16).

This can be done using a single linux director (load balancer) that has
multiple virtual services set up, or split up between different load
balancers.  The traffic can be directed to any number of real servers
(the ones in rfc1918 space). One, two, ten, its up to you. You can even
have the linux director send traffic to itself.

If this is not correct, perhaps some diagrams of your proposed
network would help us to understand your setup better.

Thanks

--
Horms