Re: Hardware based load balancers vs LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hardware based load balancers vs LVS
From: Matthew Marlowe <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 18:44:33 -0700
Doug,

The debate between hardware loadbalancers and LVS is pretty
standard now.  I've had it myself with at least 3 clients
in the last year.  In most cases, the clients begin with
the position that they would rather not trust LVS and
would prefer a vendor to provide support for a hardware
solution - especially when you are talking about substantial
revenue generating sites.  However, those that have gone
the LVS route are extremely happy and are glad that they
didn't waste their money.

There are some things you can do with LVS based loadbalancers
that wouldn't make sense otherwise, especially with regard to
creating your own applications on the LVS boxes to analyze traffic
patterns, detect fraud and attacks, and create automated responses
and reports.  This can be extremely valuable to high traffic
sites.

But, there are also cases where a hardware loadbalancer may make
sense: if you need a mature layer-7 engine, you have substantial
investments in cisco gear and would rather use their content
engine modules, or if there is some capability specific to the
vendor feature set you require.

I haven't kept up with foundry boxes recently, so I can't tell
you what features they have that LVS doesn't.

In general though, I'd go with the LVS solution if you have a choice
simply for the flexibility to implement, support, and modify it as
you require.

Matt