Re: lvs-NAT ftp (Kernel 2.4.19)

To: Rutger van Oosten <R.vanOosten@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lvs-NAT ftp (Kernel 2.4.19)
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:01:57 -0400
Rutger van Oosten wrote:

(Rutger originally posted this to me off-line and was OK with it going back
on-line)

> Not a clue.. Thank god I still have a point and click interface for the ftp
> :-) You'd expect the real (unix) server to present their own IP as passive
> IP by default.

I just tried the set of commands given by Ratz at

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.10

and put the ftpd on the realserver into pasv mode using a netcat connection
to the VIP. The ftpd started listening on their own IP at the pasv port (here
1026)
so the RIP:1026 appeared in LISTEN state in the output of `netstat -an` on the
realserver, ie the ftpd does appear to be listening on its own IP.

> On my system I initially made the mistake of putting our
> internet legal IP as passive mode IP addres, but that didn't work at all -
> all users trying to get data via passive mode got stuck after the PASV
> command.

I noticed a few minutes ago that ncftp started working with my LVS. I find
that it's now stopped using pasv mode and is connecting in active mode.
Presumably it's figured out that PASV was not working. It would appear
that I can't force it to use PASV mode.

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,