Re: hidding loopback interface does not work properly

Subject: Re: hidding loopback interface does not work properly
From: frederic.buche@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:54:54 +0100
OK Joe, I am going to explain what I need :

I have already implemented LVS by Direct Routing. And it is working well.
I have 2 Linux Director connected by HeartBeat, which can detect all
hardware troubles.

I have an application called "Pollux" wich is a part of our monitoring
system.
Pollux just make polling on different port and send traps on the Hp
OpenView.

What I need is detect if the first Director is not available.
To do that, I have planed to setup a RealServer on the same machine as the
Director.
I will test the LVS function by polling the VIP of this Realserver.

So I have an apache server running wich answers only to requests received
on the VIP address.
I have to set up the VIP on an interface like eth0:1.
But I need as well to configure a loopback interface with the same ip
address. (for the Realserver)
This loopback interface (lo:0) has the hidden parameter set.

eth0 = 192.168.121.240
eth0:1 = 192.168.121.242
lo:0 = 192.168.121.242

If the interface eth0:1 is not mounted I would expected that a ping on
192.168.121.242 do not reply.
But it does.

Perhaps I do not have understood exactly the purpose of "hidding", but I
thought this architecture coud work.

Frédéric BUCHE