RE: Busted Cluster

Subject: RE: Busted Cluster
From: "Peter Mueller" <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:55:46 -0800
>       Thanks for the response. OK. I can see a lot of
> connections in the
> FIN_WAIT state. The cluster is now lightly-loaded - but
> despite that the
> number of connections in the FIN_WAIT state seems too high? Is this
> something to worry about or is it normal?

FIN_WAIT timeouts are very high in linux.  It's normal.

>       When the cluster comes under a lot of load the
> InActConn numbers grow very quickly and jump to over 2000. Is
> there a resource penalty
> for FIN_WAIT connections? - the simple answer may be there is
> not enough
> capacity in the cluster to handle the higher loads.

Someone (Julian, Ratz?) a long time ago posted the cost per connection for
LVS.  I believe it was 128 bytes per connection.  So if you have 20
realservers each with 2000 connections LVS will take

Number of connections * 128 bytes = memory used by LVS.
Number of connections in this case is 20*2000, approximately.  So 40,000.

40,000 * 128 bytes = 5,120,000 bytes, or ~5.1MB used by LVS for 40,000
connections.

Note that these figures don't include iptables calculations.

Regards,