Re: my progress

To: "Joseph Mack" <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: my progress
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Michael McConnell" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:57:32 -0700
Ok so I've been making some progress, I've managed to load balance the
default service of apache, but I can't seem to get Virtual Hosts to work
worth a damn.

I see you said that

NameVirtualHost 10.75.1.11:80
<VirtualHost 216.45.234.12>
ServerName = host name of LVS (in my case yoggy.vocalcommerce.com)

I'm continue to experiment with a few different settings in regards to this.
What it seems your also saying is that the ServerName variable should be set
to the name of the LVS ???

I don't quite understand how this works, how will apache know that the
NameVirtualHost is assigned to the VirtualHost varible? Does it function in
a relative list or something?

I'm hoping I will not run into similar issues when I try to load balance IIS
4.0 at a later date.

thanks for any further input (-:

Michael McConnell

> Jacob W Anderson wrote:
> >
> > Hey Michael!
> >
> > Are you using virtual hosting on the HTTP server?  If so, then you will
need
> > to use the real IP of the server as the virtual name.  SO, say you have
your
> > www server on 10.75.1.11, but you are routing 216.45.234.12 as the real
IP
> > of www.mikesdomain.com, your config file would look something like the
> > following:
> >
> > NameVirtualHost 10.75.1.11:80
> > <VirtualHost 216.45.234.12>
> >   ServerAdmin foo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >   DocumentRoot /home/httpd/foo
> >   ServerName www.mikesdomain.com
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > it's  ALSO important that the www servers can do a lookup on
> > www.mikesdomain.com via dns, otherwise, as I found in my pursuit of a
> > similar setup, the httpd reports that it's a bad domain (found out with
the
> > 'httpd -S' command).
>
> http on VS-NAT is really fiendish. Maybe I'll not recommend VS-NAT as a
first
> setup for new users in the HOWTO anymore.
>
> > Hope that helps.  It's funny ... I have http working just great, but
can't
> > get anything ELSE to work!  you're the exact inverse of my problem.
(big