Re: Setting up a one network VS-NAT LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Setting up a one network VS-NAT LVS
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:17:21 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Ivan Figueredo wrote:

> Joe,
>

> Hmm, I think I misunderstand the HOW-TO. There, I thought it said that mon
> was used to monitor the realserver services, whereas heartbeat is used to
> monitor the directors. Perhaps I misunderstand your statement above.

No you have it right. However the Ultramonkey version of HA, uses
ldirectord to monitor the services and state of the directors. The
Ultramonkey code was released after the last version of the HOWTO.

> Part of understanding LVS is unravel all its' tools.

yes, it's all complicated, no doubt about that.

> As I have essentially
> set up my LVS by using RH out of the box (I did not rebuild or patch the
> kernel,) and have configured LVS "manually" by looking at the man page and
> following your lead on this thread (I have not used any of the "automation"
> tools provided,) I may be diverging from the "standard" way to set it up as
> per your documentation in the HOW-TO's.
>
> However, IMHO, this route of manually setting it up should also be
> documented in the HOW-TO's as an alternative,

all the info needed is in the docs on the website. The number of ways you
can get it wrong are large and after the first few LVS setups I decided to
do it via scripts.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx