RE: I am so ashamed

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: I am so ashamed
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:39:03 -0700
> Hello Everyone,
>     I am new to the group, new to LVS, and new to alot of
> things.  As much
> as i hate to admit, I have been a MS supporter for a long
> time just because
> I knew no different.  But I have seen the light!!!!   I have
> been slowly
> leaving MS heading in the NIX direction.
>     Enough preaching, i will get to the point now:)  sorry.

good.  but MS is not horrendous.  each has its uses.  a good place to start
is http://www.linuxdoc.org/ and their HOWTOs.  also I wish someone had
pointed out the 'securing and optimizing Redhat linux' guide to me...

> I have installed a box with Redhat 6.2.  And I seem to be having some
> trouble because I don't really know what the prerequisites where.
>
> Like,
>
> what is the best kernel to use?  what is the best version of
> linux to use
> for this?  should I use mandrake or debian?

distributions choices should be redhat or debian to start.  personally I
would use redhat to start, especially since you've already got it..
(debian's primary advantage is that it is real easy to keep up to date).  (I
like valinux modified redhat, but perhaps I will shy away now that they
don't do that anymore...)

If you are concerned about your kernel configuration abilities check out
http://ultramonkey.sourcefource.net/ .  Download the prebuilt kernels from
there and give them a try.

> I feel ashamed asking for this kind of help with this, but i
> am heart set on
> getting LVS working on my line.

everyone has to start somewhere.  as long as you keep trying to improve your
skillset I wouldn't feel ashamed....  well unless you used microsoft bob and
liked it..

> jason

cheers jason

peter