RE: LVS Beginner's question.

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: LVS Beginner's question.
From: Michael E Brown <michael_e_brown@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 15:06:56 -0500 (CDT)
The thing you must keep in mind is this: You only have an obligation to
those entities you have entered into a contract with.

The language used in the GPL is language to be understood in a court of
law. The law understands that you only have an obligation where there is a
contract.

Any joe off of the street can walk up to you and demand source code,
money, your pocketwatch, etc... But unless you have some sort of contract
with them, then they have no standing in court by which to demand this.
Any other method of taking said items amounts to "robbery". Just because
your code is GPL doesn't change this. You never have the obligation to
give your source to any old joe off of the street.

BUT, by distributing GPL code, you have created a contract situation. You
have the legal obligation to uphold the GPL with everybody you distribute
your binaries to. So, if above mentioned Joe manages to legally obtain
_your_ binaries, then you have an obligation to him to give him source
code.

So, my point stands. You can sell your binaries for $1 million. You just
have to tell everybody that you sell them to that they are GPL. You must
provide them source code if they request it, and they can turn around and
give them away for free, if they wish.

But, just to totally belabor the point, You sell your binaries to (B) for
$1million. (B) requests source and gives source away to all comers. (C)
obtains source from (B). You have no contractual obligation to (C) because
he did not get his binaries from you.

--
Michael

--