Re: LVS Beginner's question.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS Beginner's question.
From: Paul Baker <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:40:19 -0500
On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 05:20 PM, Wayne wrote:

At 04:29 PM 4/16/2002 -0500, you wrote:

"Except for one special
situation,

That one special situation, is that after you have completed the transaction for your distributed binaries, you can not ask for MORE money in order to distribute the source code (except for distribution costs).

Let's do some math.

I download Debian off the internet for zero cost. I put it on a cd and label it "Paul's SuperDuper Linux". This cd contains ONLY compiled versions of the programs and documentation and required license information. NO SOURCE CODE at all.

I sell this CD for $10,000. Mr. Farmsmith buys it from me by cutting me a check for $10,000. In return I give him a copy of the CD containing binaries/docs/license only and no source code. This is allowed under the GPL.

The next day, Mr. Farmsmith asks for a cd that contains all of the source code used to make the binaries contained on "Paul's SuperDuper Linux" CD. I then tell Mr. Farmsmith that he must send me a check for $1.50. This covers $1 for shipping and handling and 50 cents for the CD-R I bought at the store to put it on. He sends me the check and I mail him out the source code cd. This also is allowed under the GPL. What the GPL doesn't allow me to do is ask Mr. Farmsmith to pay me ANOTHER $10,000 for the source code cd. Once I have given him binaries at whatever cost, he is entitled to the source code at NO EXTRA cost, except for distribution costs.

A week later, Mr. Wayne tells me I must my source code for the Paul's SuperDuper Linux CD on an ftp server so he can download it for free. I politely reply, I don't have an ftp server I can put it on, but for $10,000 I will be perfectly happy to send you out a copy of the compiled binary "Paul's SuperDuper Linux" CD and for an extra $1.50 more I will also send you a cd containing the source code. Once again this is perfectly allowed and legal under the GPL.

The next day Mr. Wayne threatens to sue me for GPL infringement. My response is to laugh in his face. Yup you guessed it, laughing is allowed under the GPL.

--Paul Baker