Re: LVS Beginner's question.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS Beginner's question.
From: Paul Baker <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:29:24 -0500
On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 04:07 PM, Wayne wrote:
Anyone can access to it, that is the LIBERTY GPL gave to all of
us to any GPLed code and any modified version of it.

Goodness the GNU website is such a great resource for interpreting what the GPL really means. A few more good quotes for the non-believers that it is perfectly okay and ENCOURAGED to charge for GPL'd software:

"Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU project is that you should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that you should charge as little as possible -- just enough to cover the cost. Actually we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can."

"Strictly speaking, ``selling'' means trading goods for money. Selling a copy of a free program is legitimate, and we encourage it."

"...the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL) has no requirements about how much you can charge for distributing a copy of free software. You can charge nothing, a penny, a dollar, or a billion dollars. It's up to you, and the marketplace, so don't complain to us if nobody wants to pay a billion dollars for a copy."

These fascinating quotes taken from http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

--Paul Baker