Re: LVS Beginner's question.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS Beginner's question.
From: Paul Baker <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:27:51 -0500
On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 04:59 PM, Wayne wrote:

At 04:18 PM 4/16/2002 -0500, you wrote:

At the web site you quoted, it stated :"The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits. (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this."

As long as this freedom is followed, I have no problem to anything
you like to say.  For "Access to the source code", it is only expect
to pay the "distribution cost".  Commercial development of free
software is wonderful, as long as the freedom to access source code
is not taking away from anyone.

It's not taken away. What you are asking for is not what the GPL grants. If you have obtained GPL'd software, you are fully within your rights to modify the source code and recompile it into your own binaries and use those binaries yourself. If you decide you want to distribute these new binaries to other people, you are fully within your rights to decide WHO you distribute these binaries to. You also can decide how much you charge people for these binaries. When you do this you are required to do two things. 1. you must make it clear that the binaries were created using source code licensed under the GPL. 2. if the people you distributed binaries to, request the source code used to produce these binaries, you have to give it to them at no charge, or at the cost of the media used to distribute the source code to them (i.e. if you only give them the source code on cd-rom, you can charge for the cost of the media/shipping). That is it. I don't have to give random Joe Nutcrack a copy of the source code because I sold binaries to Tom Goodman. The only thing I have to do is give Tom Goodman the source code if he asks for it. And even notice the "IF HE ASKS FOR IT."

You are missing the whole point of the GPL when you say that the free means zero cost. That is not it at all, and was never the intention. I think everyone is probably growing tired of this discussion. Maybe you should contact RMS directly and have him clarify confusion.

Just because you do not understand what he is doing, it does not make him confused.

--Paul Baker