Re: Large HTTP Uploads timeout

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Large HTTP Uploads timeout
From: "Jacob Coby" <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:37:47 -0500
OK, I'm going to colsolodate all of your messages :-)

> > Just a nitpick, you tried pinging FROM a tunl device to another
computer,
> > correct?
>
> no, from a regular eth0 to a tunl on another machine.

How exactly do you do that?

> what ping are you using? My ping doesn't have the -I option.
> hping has it. I can't figure out where I got my original ping
> from, to go find the latest code.

[root@delta root]# ping -V
ping utility, iputils-ss020124

> > Bingo.  The entire site works, and pages and images much larger than 934
> > bytes are served up just fine.
>
> just checking... you still can't do the POSTs from clients though?

Exactly.  Its client->server that is broken.  realserver->client is OK.

> the director doesn't have a tunl interface with LVS-Tun. Only the
realservers
> do.

Exactly, I just made a mistake with my wording:

director: VIP on eth0:3; realservers: VIP on tunl0:0

> if you're pinging the VIP on tunl0:x on the realserver from the director,
> have you removed the VIP on the director? is the tunl0:x interface hidden
> and hence not replying to pings?

I don't quite understand what you're saying here.  How do I ping the tunl
device on the realserver from the director?

 The VIP exists on the director as an eth0 device alias.  All devices on the
real server are hidden.  I've tried hiding/unhiding tunl0, but it doesn't
seem to change anything.  Do I need to do anything other than change the
/proc setting?

> > Just a nitpick, you tried pinging FROM a tunl device to another
computer,
> > correct?
>
> just tried this with hping from an LVS-Tun setup that works for telnet.
> It gives an error
>
> "physical layer header size unknown"

What exactly does that tell us?  ping doesn't complain, and the icmp request
packets make it out.

Ok, I just did another test with three computers:

Realserver (RS)
Director (D)
and a Third Server (TS)

RS: ping from VIP to TS
TS registers ping request, replies to VIP
D registers ICMP response

So the reason ping isn't working is simply because the system is working as
designed.

However, I just tried doing a large post and left tcpdump watching ICMP
packets on the director, and saw this:

11:41:42.939666 www.listingbook.com > ws4.listingbook.com: icmp:
www.listingbook.com unreachable - need to frag (mtu 1480) [tos 0xc0]

So, something is preventing packets from being able to fragment.

I think it's ipchains.

At least it was.  I managed to get a large upload to work twice and now its
stopped working again.  Argh!  :-)

-Jacob