Re: Keepalived + feedbackd

Subject: Re: Keepalived + feedbackd
From: Alexandre Cassen <Alexandre.Cassen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:41:12 +0200
Hi,

At 01:15 11/10/2005, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> As Alexandre suggested, you may want to try a multicast protocol like
> SASP.

The specification that Alexandre sent states that SASP runs over TCP -
so it isn't a multicast protocol.

you are right Jeremy. My point here were, does we need to implement SASP since it is being pushed by cisco... But this draft suffer some limitations, especially the centralization of weighting server... TCP is not the best way IMHO to scale for a feedback channel.

> Are you planning to work on that in a very near future?

At present, I don't have any plans to. If there's enough demand, and I
get enough spare time, I could implement a version using a multicast
variant of NECP. One issue here is that I'd be creating an entirely new
protocol, which nothing else would be compatible with.

Or is there some other equivalent multicast-based protocol around?

I'm not sure how much work would be required to do any keepalived
integration though.

Sincerely, I have not taken enough time dig in feedbackd code. But the merge is in my TODO, I have other releases to push before, but this feedback is a good idea... As we stated some time ago, we need a kernel reflection feedback to synchronize userland daemon dealing with IPVS ruleset. I have some code to add netlink kernel broadcast but currently not enought time to refresh this piece of code.

Best regards,
Alexandre