Re: Keepalived + feedbackd

Subject: Re: Keepalived + feedbackd
Cc: keepalived-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Samuel Tran <stran@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:46:05 -0400
On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 07:45 +1000, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> Graeme,
>
> > 1. keepalived manages the "master" server
> > 2. "agent" on realserver connects to keepalived master
> > 3. keepalived marshals agent into LVS grouping appropriately
> > 4. keepalived adds agent into healthcheck subsystem
> > 5. keepalived emails admins to announce new server
>
> Note that there's a lot of overlap between keepalived and feedbackd here
> - feedbackd does the first four of these points already.
>
> However, feedbackd has no provision for backup directors - the agent can
> only communicate with one master at a time. One idea here is to adapt
> NECP to a multicast protocol to remove the need for separate
> connections.

Jeremy,

This is one important limitation of feedbackd.
As Alexandre suggested, you may want to try a multicast protocol like
SASP. Are you planning to work on that in a very near future? It would
be great for the community to have an opensource feedback code for
KeepAlived.

I am willing to work on it to the best of my ability.

Please give me your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Regards,
Sam