Re: Choosing the appropriate scheduling method, general questions

Subject: Re: Choosing the appropriate scheduling method, general questions
From: Jacob Coby <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:22:22 -0400
Horms wrote:
On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 06:41:33PM -0600, Dan Trainor wrote:

Hello, all -

I am curious as to which scheduling method I should think about using.

I'm brand new to LVS, and don't think I quite understand the concept.
What I was looking for, was a system that would provide load balancing
and distribution, and the load balancer or distributor itself
(LinuxDirector?) would be aware of the states of the machines for which
it balanced (RealServers?), and would distribute the load according to
the least loaded machine.

I did not see a scheduling method that provided this sort of
functionality.  Is LVS right for me? Does it have this kind of capability?

LVS itself does not have this kind of monitoring capability,
however a few years ago someone wrote some code that works
with LVS to do this. Its called feedbackd and you can find it
at:

http://www.redfishsoftware.com.au/projects/feedbackd/

I tried contacting the maintiner of keepalived to see if there would be an interest in integrating feedbackd (NECP) support into keepalived. Never got a response. I don't want to work on something that would never be accepted into keepalived proper. Passive monitoring is nice, but active would be better.

So, I'll ask it: would any of you want to see NECP support added to keepalived?

--
-Jacob