Re: lvs, squid and efficiency

To: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lvs, squid and efficiency
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:31:09 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On 19 Mar 2001, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Suppose i have two real servers running Squid, and a LVS in front of
> them, with round-robin.
> Now, suppose one web page is cached on the first real server, a client
> requests that page, and LVS redirects it to the second real server. The
> result will be a cache miss, even if the object was stored into the
> other real server.

        I hope you will prefer LBLCR and not LBLC. And probably there
can be another better solution. For example, a variant with cooperation
between squid and LVS. On lvs module load we can load the information
extracted from the proxy cache. By this way the (new) LVS scheduler
will build the table with associations on start. May be the real servers
can be enumerated, etc. The problem is how to transform the
names (or AS numbers) to IP addresses or Class C networks for example.
Job for the user space. The new scheduler will need a way to receive
all these associations in independent format. By this way the information
will be persistent and will not change on scheduler/director restart.
Only an idea.

> Is there any way LVS can be combined with an HTTP proxy, and not loose
> cache efficiency?
>
> --
> Florin Andrei

Regards