Re: lvs, squid and efficiency

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: lvs, squid and efficiency
From: Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:10:34 -0600
Florin Andrei wrote:

On 20 Mar 2001 16:20:50 -0500, Joseph Mack wrote:

Florin Andrei wrote:

How stable is -dh? Has been tested with kernel-2.4 a lot?

<exuberant sales pitch>
It's brand new in 2.4. It's the usual LVS quality and you could be one of the first to try it out :-) (step this way...)

lol...

Ok. Now i'm evaluating many different cache clusters: LVS, usual ICP,
digests, and so on.
There are pros and cons for each one.
Seems like LVS in front of a good server farm is the best for me. Only
the scheduler remains to be chosen.
-dh looks very nice. Maybe the load will be distributed a little bit
unevenly with it, but the overall performance have to be better.

I would expect that until you get into very big clusters (800+ reqs/sec, probably) or multiple balancers, LBLC will work just as well. There was quite a heavy debate on the list about 6 months ago, regarding the choice of schedulers for web caches (Thomas Proell and I coming down firmly on the side of a destination hash, and many others coming down firmly on the side of what became LBLC). Thankfully, Wensong was wiser than all of us, and decided not to choose...putting them both in! ;-)

But both will work quite well...DH will cause a few hotspots (one cache may see 20-30% higher loads at times than others in the cluster), but it does guarantee that you can keep scaling it almost forever. And you can even add multiple balancers to the picture, since given an equal number of caches and the same ordering of the caches--the same IP's will be hashed to the same caches. (At least that's the theory, I haven't at all tested multiple balancers.)

That said, I still fall on the side of preferring DH, as it is so consistent. I worry about the long term content distribution across caches when using LBLC, but I can't prove that there is a problem with it, since I haven't done large scale long term testing (that is coming on my to-do list in a few weeks).
                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances