simple example

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: simple example
From: Daniel Bidwell <bidwell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Jul 2003 15:07:04 -0400
> From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: version number problems
> Date: 11 Jul 2003 14:03:01 -0700
>
> > I have just attempted to install ipvs-1.0.9 on an Sun Ultra 5
> > running 2.4.20.  The patches installed easily and I am
> > running on the new kernel.
>
> Why not 2.4.21?

I am compiling 2.4.21 now.  I was using 2.4.20 because the patch file
that I downloaded said that it was for 2.4.20 and I wanted to get it
working on 2.4.20 before moving it up to 2.4.21.

> > I have put in a simple test service with 3 back end servers.
> > When I telnet to the lvs service the connection hangs and
> > eventually times out.
>
> So you have LVS-NAT setup?  If you have NAT, make sure the default gateway
> on the backend is the private interface of the LVS director.  If you have
> LVS-DR, make sure the 'back end' servers are actually listening on the VIP.
>
> > /proc/net/ip_vs says that I have an InActive Connection and
> > no Active connections.  /proc/net/ip_vs_conn says that it's
> > current state is SYN_RECV.
>
> What does tcpdump show, both on the director and on the application
> server/real server?

I have configured the LVS machine to round robin tcp 5000 to a single
machine, peter:5000.  I am using a single machine on the back end so
that it is easier to watch packets.

>From LVS I can telnet peter 5000 and it works correctly.

When I telnet LVS:5000 LVS doesn't attempt to connect to peter:5000.

An ipvsadm -L shows:
Prot LocalAddress:port Scheduler Flags
 -> RemoteAddress:port  Forward Weight  ActiveConn      InActConn
TCP lvs:5000 rr
 -> peter:5000          Route   1        0              0

When I telnet to lvs:5000 I see the packet stream enter lvs and
InActConn goes to 1, but lvs never sends packets out to peter:5000 and
the connection to lvs:5000 eventually times out.
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is set to 1.

lvs and peter are both on the same class C subnet and from lvs, I can
telnet to peter:5000 and I get the expected service and results.

I am trying to use direct routing and NOT NAT.

Can anyone think of anything else that I am missing to make this work?
This should be a simple, trivial example.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

--
Daniel R. Bidwell       |       bidwell@xxxxxxxxxxx
Andrews University      |       Information Technology Services