Re: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 00:50:42 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Joseph Mack wrote:

> > > so what is the MTU doing in the output of `ip addr show dev tunl0`?
> > >
> > > I can set it (can't I?). Is the mtu meaningless, ignored, what?
> >
> >         It is ignored for IPVS traffic, IPVS has its own encapsulation
> > and uses the route to RIP. IIRC you do not need to configure tunl0
> > in director.
>
> So PMTU cannot work for ip_vs?

        I mean tunl0 is usually needed to receive IPIP packets, so
in normal cases you do not need such interface in director even
when using TUN real servers. The PMTU setting must be for the route
to RIP. Such setting (and special route to daddr=RIP) can be needed
only if PMTU to RIP is less than the outdev MTU.

> In that case Ratz idea of setting the mtu for the route (DIP->RIP) won't work?

        It is needed but it is not on tunl0, eg. it is via eth0

> So should people set the MTU on the VIP for an LVS-Tun director?

        The VIP does not play here. The forwarded traffic is
routed to daddr=RIP (as for the other forwarding methods). Only the
clients need a route to VIP.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>