Re: linuxvirtualserver.com

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: linuxvirtualserver.com
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:26:01 +0800
Joseph Mack wrote:

> A little while ago I registered linuxvirtualserver.com and .net in
> Wensong's name. The thinking was that sooner or later LVS would move out
> of its current "developers mostly" environment, into the general public as
> has say apache, squid, mysql... and it would be nice to have a group of
> people available, competent at installing and debugging LVS, to do
> commercial installs/tutorials for those who didn't want to do it
> themselves.
>
> Wensong is happy for such a group to exist and to help with it, as long as
> he doesn't have to organise/run it. We arrived at the following possible
> format for such a group:
>
> 1. people will become members of this group by giving some agreed fraction
> of their lvs.com fee, to the "LVS promotion fund"
>
> members will not be checked for technical abilities, ability to spell..
> there being no mechanism and probably no need to do so. If you can make
> money with your abilities then that's all that counts.

Well, I remember that I said that we should identify the difference
between donation and membership. Donation of some money or hardware
doesn't mean he/she can become a member immediately. Whether he/she
becomes a member is voted by all the current members.

> 2. For the moment the "LVS promotion fund" is Wensong. He is a student and
> has done most of the work on LVS, while most of the rest of us seem to
> have jobs. Part of my thinking is that Wensong is not likely to be able
> to make money doing LVS installs in China, there being less commercial
> opportunities there than the rest of us have in Europe or USA, and to ward
> off the possibility that TotalWorldDomination Inc offers him a salary that
> he can't refuse to drop his degree and take LVS private for them. When
> Wensong finishes his degree (2-3 yrs), we will re-evaluate the use of this
> money, by which time we will have a better idea of where LVS.com is
> headed.

I do think that the "LVS promotion fund" is to keep the LVS project
running and move it faster.

Yes, I am now a student in China and I am not rich, but I have fun in
doing the LVS project, I will continue contributing to the LVS project
as long as I have time. Thanks for Joe's suggestion anyway.

> 3. The fraction of fees that go to the "LVS promotion fund" is up for
> discussion.
>
> I would like it to be high enough that Wensong gets more than beer money
> out of it and that the member is making some commitment to the long term
> developement of LVS. I don't expect lvs.com members to be making a lot of
> money initially, the main problem will be making ourselves known to the
> public (marketing). Eventually being a member of lvs.com will bring in
> enough extra work to make up for the difference. The person can always
> declare themselves and LVS expert on their own, not be an LVS.com member,
> take all the fees and still help with development on lvs.org.
>
> My suggestion is 50%. Wensong sugested less, but I don't know whether he
> is being modest or practical.

I remember that I said I just need some money to buy computers and pay
trips for LVS. In fact, I won't take money from the LVS
foundation/organization or whatever, and I will submit my application
of buying me a big computer or paying the expanses of trips for LVS
talks, if there is need.

> 4. It will operate mostly on the honour system. People will declare
> themselves available, their names will go on the lvs.com page, they'll go
> around promoting LVS and doing installs/tutorials and they'll send Wensong
> some $ now and then. Wensong will know who has sent money but not who is
> earning it or how much. When people don't wan't to be called up as lvs.com
> members anymore, someone will take their name off the webpage.

No, don't send money to me. I suggest that the "LVS foundation" open
an account in a bank. Anyone that wants to help the LVS project can
send money to that account, and we will acknowledge him/her in the
webpage.

> Since lvs people are spread around the time zones, it should be possible
> for people to be able to cover each other, if your client calls up with a
> problem and you are asleep/out of town/on holiday.
>
> Anyone interested, any suggestions?

Anyway, I am happy to see that "fundation" exists. It will not only
help the development of LVS move forward, but also help more people
apply the LVS for network services.

Thanks,

Wensong