Re: Scalability

To: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Scalability
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 18:51:12 +0200
Hi Horms,

> Perhaps we should come up with a list of features that LVS doesn't have,
> then work out which ones need/should be implemented.

During half a year I was working with lot of customers
having all the crazy ideas about what a loadbalancer
should do (filling up the fridge, if there is no beer
anymore). Some of them were extremely constructive and
I tried to implement some of them into a user space tool
which I'm still improving but is also already running on
various sites around Switzerland :)

Here is a (wish)-list of features/ideas (unsorted)
Most of them concern web-loadbalancing:

o masq table copier: in case of a failover most of
  already established connections with persistency
  would still work without the need to reauthenticate.

o session limitation: I already did something into
  this direction, but only scripting, but it works
  quite good.

o more 'intelligent' loadbalancing algorithms (cfp)

o statistics: currently you could install an snmpd
  and add into some unused mib-tables the data like
  echo -e `expr $(ipchains -L -M -n | grep RIP | \
  wc -l) - 1`"\c"
  get it via snmpget, pipe it into mrtg from my
  friend tobias (www.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg)
  or rrdtool and plot some nice graphs.

o I personally don't like it, but content based
  loadbalancing, cookie-support for ssl-connections.

o I also implemented the LIP-feature :) which means
  that a customer can put a lowlevel machine as a
  server of last ressort (LastIP) in case every
  webserver is being taken out by some healthcheck,
  every traffic is redirected to this LIP or spare
  server where the client would see a page like
  "currently down, please come back later"
  If one server is inserted back, either because
  his amount of sessions fall below a lower thresh-
  hold, or because the healthcheck doesn't fail
  anymore, the customer is automatically being
  redirected to this server. How did I do this?
  Well configure every server with their appropriate
  weight and add the LIP with weight 0, write a
  more or less intelligent tool to hadle the logic
  and off you go. Works perfect for me and currently
  for 4 major sites.

o your idea,

o see the list at www.linuxvirtualserver.org

Regards,