Re: RedHat Enterprise Linux AS as realservers?

Subject: Re: RedHat Enterprise Linux AS as realservers?
From: David Osborne <david.osborne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 16:07:42 +0100
Paolo

I'm trying to duplicate what you've got working on your RHAS 3 machine
but without success. In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo:1, I
have this (VIP = 128.243.40.199):

DEVICE=lo:1
IPADDR=128.243.40.199
NETMASK=255.255.255.255
NETWORK=128.243.0.0
ONBOOT=yes
ARP=no

which appears like this in ifconfig output:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:06:5B:8F:9D:60
          inet addr:128.243.220.24  Bcast:128.243.255.255
Mask:255.255.0.0

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING NOARP  MTU:16436  Metric:1

lo:1      Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:128.243.40.199  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING NOARP  MTU:16436  Metric:1

On that same machine (cache5), I can ping its VIP and check that the VIP
doesn't appear in the ARP cache. However, when I try to ping the VIP
from my desktop machine, I get replies which my ARP cache shows have
come from the MAC address of cache5's eth0. No other machine has the
VIP, so it must be cache5 which is replying. It appears to be the usual
behaviour for a 2.4 kernel, where a local address is ARPed for,
whichever interface it is on. Could you give more details of how you got
yours working, please?

thanks
David

--
David Osborne
Central Systems & Security Team, Information Services