Re: NAT cluster....

To: Stephen Rowles <spr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NAT cluster....
Cc: Ted Pavlic <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:40:19 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Stephen Rowles wrote:

> At 13:40 08/09/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> > > After trying to use Direct Routing on an ATM network I discovered that
> > > because of the ATM it is not possible to have duplicate MAC addresses for
> > > single IP. The cluster will be a telnet / compute cluster which will load

        Believe me, the same is for the Ethernet.

> > > balance telnet, ftp, and SSH traffic.
> >

> The problem is that when the real-servers reply to a machine that requires
> a route across the ATM, the packets that are sent claim to be from the VIP
> (which the director ARPs for and the ATM registers the director MAC as
> belonging to that IP address) BUT they have different MAC addresses because
> the come from different real-servers. So there are lots of packets claiming
> to be from the VIP, all with different MAC addresses :). The ATM won't
> route these for two reasons (having talked to the manufactures) 1) to
> prevent IP spoofing attacks on the network. 2) the MAC address is
> fundamental to the way that the ATM routing software route IP packets - it
> is not possible for it to deliver packets to more than one MAC address for
> a given IP - doh!

        You  have to try  LVS/DR with hiding  the devices in
the real servers:

        http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/arp.html

        You   have   to   patch  your   real   servers  with
hidden-2.3.41-1.diff

        I  have never tried ATM but  looking in the ATM docs
and  the  sources in  2.4 I  don't see  problems to  use the
"hidden  device"  feature.   Just  define  VIPs  on lo/dummy
devices in the real servers and not on the atm devices.

        The  ARP  in  ATM is  different  but  RFC1577 claims
interoparbility.   ATMARP is even preferred for LVS: the ARP
request  can't raise problems because I don't see such thing
as  "source IP address announcement"  in the ARP requests to
the  ARP server. Considering  the fact that  LVS works on IP
level  I don't  expect problems even  on ATM.  Juts hide the
VIPs in the real servers.

        You  can't have two hosts  that send ARP replies for
one  VIP. This is true not only for ATM LIS but also for the
Ethernet.

> I though about IP tunnelling (as all the boxes are linux) but the boxes
> will still reply from the VIP (correct?) and so the problem remains.

        Yes, remains. This problem exists for LVS/DR and LVS/TUN
when the real servers and the director are on the same shared media.

> The key feature for the solution is that there has to be a 1-1 relationship
> between MAC addresses and IP addresses.

        This is mandatory! Please, report your results with the
hidden flag, you are the first who plays with ATM on this list :)

> Cheers for all your comments.
> Steve.

> Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage
> makes you a mechanic.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>