Re: using LVS with 2 servers

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: using LVS with 2 servers
From: Jacques Thomas <jacktom@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:53:27 +0100
Bjoern Metzdorf wrote:
../..
> During high peak times, we have over 250 requests per second hitting the VIP
> (which is not very much for the lvs-code), and the lvs-code needs nothing in
> relation to the webserver cpu-consumption.

With the same rate of requests, I could not observe any significant
overhead in the system load, as shown by the command top. These
benchmarks were conducted with a PIII 800 Mhz director.

I know there has been discussions on this list, whether the system (OS)
load is properly displayed by top or not.

Anyway, benchmarks conducted for the Click Router Project at MIT show
that a regular PIII 700Mhz Linux router (no customization in drivers or
whatsoever) can handle up to 84.000 paquets per second. Then, 250 hits
per second makes only 0.3 % of it. LVS code should not (IMHO) add much
to it.

Just to try to put figures on the thoughts. ;)

Regards,

        Jacques THOMAS.