Re: using LVS with 2 servers

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: using LVS with 2 servers
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:06:32 +0100
Hello,

> Anyway, benchmarks conducted for the Click Router Project at MIT show
> that a regular PIII 700Mhz Linux router (no customization in drivers or
> whatsoever) can handle up to 84.000 paquets per second. Then, 250 hits
> per second makes only 0.3 % of it. LVS code should not (IMHO) add much
> to it.

Could you please provide information or reports on that statement?. I've
been following the 'fast forwarding bird' development by Jamal Hadi
Salim, Robert Olsson and Alexey Kuznetsov. If you read their paper from
the 5th ALS conference from November last year you can read that the
Linux' congestion collapse is at around 60Kpps. This was not even a max
but the packets wouldn't even leave the system anymore for
understandable reasons (softnet is not designed for such packet rates).
The MLFFR (Maximum Loss Free Forwarding Rate) was around 27Kpps with the
CPU being used 100% to process networking (from their document).
Problems mentioned where the shared backlog queue for multiple NIC's and
not optimal hardware flow control algorithms and interrupt livelocks in
parallel packet reordering.

After they implemented their fast forwarding scheduling their were able
to sustain 80Kpps, while input rate was 148Kpps.

Using an e1000 they achieved 360Kpps using a single PIII 933 MHz CPU.

You can check out the next three links if you're interested:
http://robur.slu.se/Linux/net-development/jamal/FF-html/
http://lwn.net/2000/0928/a/fast-forwarding.php3
http://www.globecom.net/ietf/draft/draft-almesberger-wajhak-diffserv-linux-01.html

Best regards,