Re: using LVS with 2 servers

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: using LVS with 2 servers
From: Jacques Thomas <jacktom@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:29:21 +0100
Hello,

The report is at: http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/papers/click:tocs00/
and the homepage of the click modular router project is at:
http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/click/

This is where I took my figures from. I think, before reading the
interesting links you've just mentionned, that the main difference lies
in the packet size used for the benchmarks. At the Click project, they
focused on routing capacity (using 64-byte packets) and not bandwidth.
It might also be that their test configuration was simpler.

Still with these small packets, they managed to route up to 435Kpps on
there test configuration with a 700Mhz PIII CPU. Like the 'fast
forwarding bird', they had to modify the hardware driver : they changed
it from an interrupt-driven mode to a polling mode. The network card
used was a DEC 21140 NIC.

Regards,

        Jacques THOMAS.