Re: using LVS with 2 servers

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: using LVS with 2 servers
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:05:15 +0100
Good morning Jacques,

> The report is at: http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/papers/click:tocs00/

and the homepage of the click modular router project is at:
http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/click/

Awesome!!! I started reading the stuff. I didn't know about that. Thank you for the link. They take a completely different approach but they seem to have tried it over diffserv too. What is really interesting, is that they manage to exchange messages via BSD pf sockets while Hadi uses the netlink transportation mechanism.

This is where I took my figures from. I think, before reading the
interesting links you've just mentionned, that the main difference lies
in the packet size used for the benchmarks. At the Click project, they
focused on routing capacity (using 64-byte packets) and not bandwidth.
It might also be that their test configuration was simpler.

Well the FF project I mentioned used 64-byte packets too with a HW packet generator. Otherwise you would never in get these high rates.

Still with these small packets, they managed to route up to 435Kpps on
there test configuration with a 700Mhz PIII CPU. Like the 'fast
forwarding bird', they had to modify the hardware driver : they changed
it from an interrupt-driven mode to a polling mode. The network card
used was a DEC 21140 NIC.

Exactly the card they were using for their test. This must a very good chip. I'm going to delve further into it.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz