RE: Survey: synchronisation and deployment

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Survey: synchronisation and deployment
From: "Doug Schasteen" <dschast@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:04:17 -0500
What does the keepalived vrrp do exactly? What are you using MySQL for?
Because if you are running scripts or web programs, then don't you need
to specify an IP in your connection strings? I'm just wondering how that
works, because if all your connection strings are set to a certain IP
and then that IP goes down, how does it know to fail over to the second
machine? The only thing I can think of is your second machine takes over
that IP somehow.

I was planning on tackling this issue by writing (rewriting) all of my
scripts/programs to include one file that does the mysql connections.
Then I only have to change one file when I want to change where my mysql
connections go. And then maybe I'll add a failover connection inside of
that include file, like an "if the first connection didn't work, try the
backup server". The problem with that is that if for some odd reason the
first connection doesn't work (perhaps I rebooted the machine), it will
put them on the backup server and updates will be made to the backup
server. Any updates made to the backup mysql server while I'm rebooting
the main mysql server will probably be lost. I can maybe add two-way
replication for when something like this happens (but not use two-way
replication all the time, because I've heard that has problems.)

- Doug