Re: Survey: synchronisation and deployment

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Survey: synchronisation and deployment
From: carla quiblat <carlaq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:00:25 +0800 (PHT)
Hello, this is an interesting survey because i am actually in this stage
of using lvs. I am new to lvs and and working/studying it on and off. The
cluster i'm working on is operational now (2 load balancers, 2 real
servers lvs-tun) but there are still issues i have to find solutions. I
read the other answers and i don't even know what Netfilers are, coz we
only have computers to work with. I'm learning... :) and thanks to all of
you. My answers are below

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Tim Hollingsworth wrote:

> Hello LVS users
>
> I am an honours student at the University of Western Australia.  I am
> resarching open source approaches to web cluster synchronisation and
> content/application deployment.
>
> I have a few quick questions for LVS users:
>
> 1. What mechanism are you using to synchronise your cluster?
        I'm using ipvs/ldirector/heartbeat to manage the cluster. I
created a simple script (it's not fancy) to synchronize the mysql database
that holds the contents of the virtualhosted sites. My problem here was
that one real server gets updated if it was the one accessed and so i
read through how mysql updates could be replicated etc and found that bin
logs are kept by mysql. I needed to transfer those binlogs to the other
server and apply it to the other real server with a mysql server running
in localhost.
        Basically the script uses mysql commands and ssh to do remote
transfer and execution. Then i cron the script once a day assuming the
site admins of the virtualhosts don't access it more than once a day
(crossing my fingers)... i could probably increase the period...

> 2. How do you deploy new content?
        Actually at the start i thought they were just going to place
static content and rsync would have done the job. It turned out they had a
a system they call "content management system" that uses mysql/php to
update each site's content.

> 3. What is the nature of your cluster and its content?

        Basically just http with right now around 60 virtualhosts that the
site admins don't know of yet (still testing) so the problems haven't
really arrived yet..

> 4. Do you know of any new technology or propriety solutions that need an
> open source implementation?

        Make lvs ipv6-enabled?

        Best regards,
        carla