Re: Survey: synchronisation and deployment

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Survey: synchronisation and deployment
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:09:05 -0400 (EDT)
> > 1. What mechanism are you using to synchronise your cluster?
>       I'm using ipvs/ldirector/heartbeat to manage the cluster. I
> created a simple script (it's not fancy) to synchronize the mysql database
> that holds the contents of the virtualhosted sites. My problem here was
> that one real server gets updated if it was the one accessed and so i
> read through how mysql updates could be replicated etc and found that bin
> logs are kept by mysql. I needed to transfer those binlogs to the other
> server and apply it to the other real server with a mysql server running
> in localhost.
>       Basically the script uses mysql commands and ssh to do remote
> transfer and execution. Then i cron the script once a day assuming the
> site admins of the virtualhosts don't access it more than once a day
> (crossing my fingers)... i could probably increase the period...

I think the newest versions of MySQL support replications.  You could
setup replications peers and have the SQL data get updated automatically.

>       Actually at the start i thought they were just going to place
> static content and rsync would have done the job. It turned out they had a
> a system they call "content management system" that uses mysql/php to
> update each site's content.

Do you neeed MySQL on every webserver or could you move MySQL onto another
internal machine and have it manage the content?

-Matt

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com