Re: Survey: synchronisation and deployment

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Survey: synchronisation and deployment
From: Ramon Kagan <rkagan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:43:06 -0400 (EDT)
See below.

Ramon Kagan
York University, Computing and Network Services
Unix Team -  Intermediate System Administrator
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan@xxxxxxxx

-------------------------------------
I have not failed.  I have just
found 10,000 ways that don't work.
        - Thomas Edison
-------------------------------------

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, carla quiblat wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Matthew S. Crocker wrote:
>

> > Do you neeed MySQL on every webserver or could you move MySQL onto another
> > internal machine and have it manage the content?

For our MySQL setup I have a single "MySQL" machine.  I setup my MySQL to
listen on the designated port and have setup strict rules in MySQL for
authentication and access.  (see mysql.user and mysql.db tables).  For
redundancy I have a second machine running as a replication slave against
the MySQL machine.  I'm using keepalived's vrrp framework to force
failover when problems arise (hasn't happened yet, knocking on wood
really hard).  I have tested this in a development environment and it
seems to work nicely.  I found that with both machines running 100Full
Duplex, our MySQL server can complete over 10,000 write transactions per
second and the latency between databases is on average 0.0019 seconds
(yes, under 2 thousandth of a second!).  I will admit that these are
pretty strong machines (Dual P3 1.4 with 2 GB memory, 100% SCSI based),
but I seen similar performance on P3 600 with 512 MB memory, IDE based,
still 100 Full Duplex though.