Re: Survey: synchronisation and deployment

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Survey: synchronisation and deployment
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:10:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Tim Hollingsworth wrote:

> Hello LVS users
>
> I am an honours student at the University of Western Australia.  I am
> resarching open source approaches to web cluster synchronisation and
> content/application deployment.
>
> I have a few quick questions for LVS users:
>
> 1. What mechanism are you using to synchronise your cluster?

We use keepalived for the cluster/LVS monitoring/management.  We use SCP
to move the keepalived.conf file around to all the servers.

For content it is all stored on a Netfiler F720.  The next upgrade will
replace the F720 with a cluster of Netfilers (F85C ??).  The realservers
NFS mount the content (Webdirs, Maildir)

> 2. How do you deploy new content?

Put it on the NFS server, every machine sees it

> 3. What is the nature of your cluster and its content?

Currently SMTP,POP3,IMAP.  We'll be adding HTTP, HTTPS & FTP in the next
few weeks.  Our LVS is LVS-NAT, 2 directors, 4 real servers, Cisco 3548
switch.

> 4. Do you know of any new technology or propriety solutions that need an
> open source implementation?

I would like to see a Netfiler type appliance open sourced.  I know I can
go with a linux box but I'm just not sure on the performance.  I want a
fiber channel based NFS server will complete journaling, 30 second
reboots, fail over, snapshots.  I think a linux box with EXT3 or ReiserFS
comes close but you don't get snapshots and I'm not sure how the failover
would work.

-Matt
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com