Re: Survey: synchronisation and deployment

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Survey: synchronisation and deployment
From: carla quiblat <carlaq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:20:23 +0800 (PHT)
On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Ramon Kagan wrote:

> See below.
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, carla quiblat wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Matthew S. Crocker wrote:
> > > Do you neeed MySQL on every webserver or could you move MySQL onto another
> > > internal machine and have it manage the content?
> > >
> For our MySQL setup I have a single "MySQL" machine.  I setup my MySQL to
> listen on the designated port and have setup strict rules in MySQL for
> authentication and access.  (see mysql.user and mysql.db tables).  For
> redundancy I have a second machine running as a replication slave against
> the MySQL machine.  I'm using keepalived's vrrp framework to force
> failover when problems arise (hasn't happened yet, knocking on wood
> really hard).  I have tested this in a development environment and it
> seems to work nicely.  I found that with both machines running 100Full
> Duplex, our MySQL server can complete over 10,000 write transactions per
> second and the latency between databases is on average 0.0019 seconds
> (yes, under 2 thousandth of a second!).  I will admit that these are
> pretty strong machines (Dual P3 1.4 with 2 GB memory, 100% SCSI based),
> but I seen similar performance on P3 600 with 512 MB memory, IDE based,
> still 100 Full Duplex though.
        I'm still thinking all this over... The 2 real servers are
actually located in 2 different ISPs that's also why I'm using lvs-tun. If
I used an external MySQL server only, the queries and updates would take
long (it's also because of security that they're running in localhost).
And I really didn't do the mysql stuff so i had to study and understand
mysql too. I can't say anything about performance but we're using P4 2.0G
with 512 MB, IDE based. Thanks for the ideas.

Best regards,
carla