Re: configuring LVS-DR on FC3

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: configuring LVS-DR on FC3
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:46:23 +0900
On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:04:12AM -0700, Todd Lyons wrote:
> ankush grover wanted us to know:
>
> >But so far I am not able to configure LVS-DR as most of the examples r given
> >for kernel 2.2.x or 2.4.x and Fedora Core 3 comes with 2.6.x kernel.
> >What I have to do to configure LVS-DR on fc3.
>
> Regarding real servers, if you have 2.6.5 or above, you don't need to
> patch your kernel.  Just load the correct modules (unless you compile
> the kernel yourself, in which case you determine if you need to
> recompile to enable it) and set the right settings.  Here's my system
> setup for our realservers:

These options also exist in 2.4.27 and above in the 2.4 series of
kernels. Most distros now have kernels that have these options,
which is excellent news.

> webmail1 etc # tail -n 6 /etc/sysctl.conf
> # For load balanced machines
> net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_ignore = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_announce = 2
> net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2

Using arp_announce and arp_ignore on lo probably is not what you want.
These proc values operate on interfaces that send arp, not interfaces
where addresses that shouldn't participate in arp are attached.

More specifically, it should be set on your ethernet (and any other
interfaces that send arp). All of them. For the common case
where you only have eth0, it would look like this.

net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_announce = 2

--
Horms