Re: configuring LVS-DR on FC3

To: ankush grover <ankushgrover1711@xxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: configuring LVS-DR on FC3
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:35:01 +0900
On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 01:52:49PM +0530, ankush grover wrote:
> > > .
> > >
> > > But still i am not able to access the application running on Real
> > > Servers.DoI have to give an entry for the service running on apache(on
> > > real servers)
> > > in httpd.conf file of LVS servers.
> >
> > If you want apache to answer queries for the VIP, and you
> > are using LVS-DR, then yes, apache has to respond to
> > quieries to the VIP.
> >

> LVS server : 192.168.1.42 <http://192.168.1.42>
> Real Server 1 : 192.168.1.67 <http://192.168.1.67>
> Real Server 2 : 192.168.1.68 <http://192.168.1.68>
> Client address: 192.168.1.45 <http://192.168.1.45>
>
> Now the client tries to access directly the application running on any of
> real servers ,Will LVS still able to Load Balance the Apache service ?

No, of course not. LVS can only load balance traffic addressed
to the VIP that goes via the linud director.

> If the answer is "No" to the above question.Then How to do I make LVS server
> responds to the queries for real servers that is if any client tries to
> access the Application running on Real Servers by giving the
> ipaddress of LVS server and the application path. for ex :
> http://192.168.1.42/his.

192.168.1.42 is the VIP
Add the VIP to the loopback device on the real servers
set arp_ignore and arp_announce on the real servers
make sure apache knows what to do with requests to 192.168.1.42

> > Moreover I have not configured any alias loopback interface or any alias
> > > ethernet interface on real servers.
> >
> > That is a problem. You need the loopback interface configured with the
> > VIP on each of the real servers, and you need to add the arp_ignore
> > and arp_announce flags that were talked about earlier, on the real
> > servers. You do not need to do either of these things on the linux
> > director, instead you should ad the VIP to whichever interface is
> > connected to the network that the VIP lives on, usually eth0.
>

> my ifcfg-eth0 file(/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts).How to put the entry for
> VIP on eth0

I don't understand this question. A typical setup is
to have the VIP on eth0:0 on the linux director
and lo:0 on the real-servers. Make sure that you set
the netmask to 255.255.255.255 in the case of the latter.

This is all covered, at length in the HOWTO, and the documentation
on ultramonkey.org that I pointed to you.

--
Horms